The popularity of weddings abroad is increasing and many couples are finding that rather than battling with the guest list, choosing a destination is the main decision they have to make.
Many couples are looking to plan their weddings abroad because it cuts out a high proportion of the stress involved in organising a wedding in their home country. Bad weather, long and undecided guest lists, and expensive costs are just a few of the factors when it comes to planning a wedding in the UK which is why many couples are now choosing weddings abroad instead.
Weddings in the Caribbean still continue to be amongst the top choices for weddings abroad, mainly because of the warmer climate and reliable weather, stunning surroundings, and value for money in accommodation and venues.
For many couples, beach weddings offer the perfect experience with a stunning backdrop of the Caribbean Sea, a relaxed ceremony with close family and friends, a sunset reception, and beachfront luxury accommodation.
According to the travel agents Tropical Sky, Barbados is the favourite destination for weddings abroad, closely followed by St. Lucia weddings, and next, the idyllic Indian Ocean archipelago of Mauritius.
Steve Garley, Tropical Sky's Commercial Director, said: "It's no surprise to see these Caribbean destinations remain top of the charts as the islands are easy to get to and have great weather. Hotel groups with properties on different islands like Almond Resorts, Rex Resorts and Couples Resorts are increasingly popular as they offer a two-centre option for those who wish to honeymoon on a different island - and have the excuse to leave their entourage behind!
Steve continues, "Although the Caribbean continues to dominate, there are some destinations sneaking in to take the crown, for example New York weddings are increasing in popularity. Alternative beach destinations are also seeing a massive rise in bookings."
- 61% of UK unwed couples would prefer weddings abroad
- Pierre Carr Wedding & Event Design partners with Elegant Resorts to offer Caribbean Weddings
- British Virgin Islands change marriage law to make it easier for couples planning destination weddings
- One In Ten UK Couples Opt for Destination Weddings in 2012 and 2013
- Cruise lines offer part-beach, part-cruise weddings abroad in the Caribbean
- Top 5 destinations for romantic Caribbean weddings revealed by Tips from the T-List